Picture by Henk Hartsuiker
1741 at Amsterdam RAI 23 October 1995
Picture Bill Roberts
on the French design these locomototives were built following the Class 1600
into service. There initial function was to work with trains of 3 or 4 double
decker coaches effectively becoming the power car of an EMU. Special automatic
couplers were fitted as illustrated by the photo of 1741 above. This allowed
two of the Double Decker units to work in multiple. In due course it was
intended that they would be replced by Double Decker
Motor Cars (mDDM). 50
such cars were purchased and the fleet was divided with Nos 1701-1730 remaining
on Double Decker Duties and Nos 1731 - 1781 taking the place of Class 1600
which were then transferred to Railion for exclusive work on freight trains.
(Some of these have been returned to NS Reizigers as Class
These Class 1700 now work on InterCity and EuroCity trains. Multiple working is possible but only one locomotive can draw power at any time to prevent current overload.
The Class 1700 have several improvements over Class 1600 inclusing Chopper Control.
1716 at Amsterdam Centraal - 23 October 1995
Picture by Bill Roberts